News on Land Use
Sonoma County Healthy & Sustainable Food Action Plan
The Sonoma County Healthy and Sustainable Food Action Plan, a project of the SCFSA, is poised to be a huge success.Read More »
DPR-commissioned Nonfumigant Strawberry Production Working Group Releases Action Plan
April 2013 A Working Group of industry and scientific leaders convened by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation released an action plan detailing research priorities for developing cost-effective management tools and practices for soilborne pests of strawberries in the absence of conventional fumigants.Read More »
SCCFSA Member highlighted in article about immigrant growers in Santa Clara County
March 2013 Aziz Baamuer of UCCE Small Farms Program and SCCFSA member, speaks to the challenges of Asian immigrant farmers in Silicon Valley. See ArticleRead More »
Hiring underway for “Farmbudsman” position in Yolo/Solano Counties
December 2012 Thanks to the work of the YAFA & Solano partners, the two counties are hiring for a new Farmbudsman position.Read More »
SMFSA Members Release Report: Farming and Farmland Report on San Mateo County Land Use
January 2013 SMFSA Members, Jered Lawson and Ned Conwell, and Pie Ranch staff Jessica Beckett released a report looking at farmland availability and preservation on San Mateo County.Read More »
Conserving Coyote Valley Agriculure Feasibility Study releases final report
The final report, Sustaining Agriculture and Conservation in the Coyote Valley: Findings and Recommendations. The Study and Executive Summary are also available for download from the website of the project funder, the Coastal Conservancy.Read More »
SMFSA Announces release of food policy brief
June 2012 Producing, Distributing, and Consuming Healthy Local Food: Ingredients for a Sustainable Food System is now available online.Read More »
2012 Ventura County Ag Futures Alliance (VAFA) Progress Report
Dec. 2012 Ventura AFA has released a report on the Ag Summit and the work the Alliance has done since this incredible event.Read More »
San Mateo Food System Alliance Accomplishments in 2011
- SMFSA has three committees: Farm to Institution, Land Use, and the newly formed Policy Committee
- San Mateo participated in the National Food Day event and focused on highlighting fish-friendly farming practices, as well as a panel with various stakeholders discussing Alliance initiatives.
- The San Mateo Alliance was recognized by the County Board of Supervisors and they formally endorsed the efforts of the Alliance to improve access to locally, sustainably produced, and healthy food in San Mateo County.
- The San Mateo Food System Alliance (SMFSA) began a Farm-to-School pilot with two school districts.
- The Farm-to-Institution Committee hosted a seminar in March for educators, youth and parents who want to increase their consumption of locally grown produce.
- The Alliance has translated their goals into a policy brief for local cities on inclusion of policies favorable to local production agriculture, and will be distributed to local officials in the coming months.
- Received primary funding for a feasibility study for local aggregation and distribution on coast-side produce to bay-side urban residents and institutions.